How do you build a skincare routine
Beautiful skin, we all want it, we all desire to have it. But beautiful skin doesn’t have to be unattainable or something which we just desire to have. Neither is it meant just for a select few or celebrities. YES! you too can have beautiful skin. By beautiful skin, I mean skin that is clear, healthy and functioning without make up. I am a believer that make- up enhances beautiful skin and should never be used to cover bad skin. We can all have beautiful skin; like any other part of the body the skin requires constant care. After -all it is the largest organ of the body. By building a skincare routine you would be able to maintain fresh healthy looking skin. In this article, we are going to talk about building a basic skincare routine that can be carried out daily. Before moving forward let me just say that Beautiful skin will always begin inside. Drink at least eight cups of water in a day and try and keep alcoholic and caffeinated beverages to a minimal.
Step 1 –Know our skin type
Great looking skin, starts by knowing your skin type. Knowing and understanding your skin type will help you know how to take care of it and what products are best suitable. Below is a breakdown of skin types and the features of each:
- Dry skinis flaky, scaly, or rough.
- Oily skinis shiny, greasy, and may have big pores, with blackheads.
- Combination skinis dry in some spots (cheeks) and oily in the “T” zone (forehead, nose, and chin).
- Sensitive skinmay sting, burn, or itch after you use some makeup or other products
- Normal skin is balanced, clear, and not sensitive.
Step 2 – Understanding Your products
The fact is there are a lot of skincare products on the market, with an over saturation of products it good to know what is in products and how they will affect your skin. Below are a list of the products you should be using as part of skincare regime
- Cleanser – Cleansers can come in different forms, cleansing creams and cleansing milks or oils are good for dissolving make-up and dislodging dirt and dead skin cells form the skin
- Toner – Toners can be used after the cleansing process to freshen up the skin. Toners come in different strengths depending on your skin type. These can range from floral waters such as rose water or spirits with witch hazel
- Exfoliate – Exfoliators are great for removing dead skin cells and helping pores to become unblocked. Exfoliation should take place at least once a week and for oily skin twice weekly
- Moisturiser – moisturisers can come in a form of creams or lotions, they help keep the skin smooth and supply by providing hydration in your skin. They also work as great barriers from the elements of the weather
- Face mask – these are also great cleansers, to get a deeper cleanser these can be used once a month
Remember that all products carry similar ingredients, buy products that are suitable to your skin type, and if you have any skin conditions such as Acne, then it maybe best to consult a specialist.
Step 3 – Establishing your Routine
The truth is building your routine is not rocket science, in fact it only takes a few minutes of your time and your skin will thank you for it generously.
- For your morning routine make sure to start your day by cleansing your face with a cleanser that is appropriate for your skin type, this will help to remove any excess oil that has built up overnight and in the evening will remove any make- up or dirt that has built up through- out the day
- Tighten your skin using a toner. Toners are also good for evening out skin colour and reducing pigmentation.
- Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise, this is what your entire routine should be built around. Appreciate that moment of peace by making your everyday moisturiser something really special. At night you could use a night cream, as night creams are thicker and a specifically designed to stay longer on the skin.
- As stated earlier, exfoliation should take place at least once a week and if your skin type is oily than at least twice a week.
The good news is you can follow these basic skin care routine regardless of your skin type, and you will have started your journey to great looking skin. The important thing to remember is that having and maintaining healthy skin is in being consistent in carrying out your skincare routine, whilst using great products. Keep in mind that the effects of skincare products, will not happen overnight. When starting a new routine please allow a minimum of three to four weeks to start seeing noticeable results. If you stop on the third day and continued with your chosen skin care method on the supposedly second or third week, then the effects won’t show, keep going and do not give up. Also your skin might experience a shock, especially during the first few days after introducing a particular routine. Consistency is crucial to give your skin some time to adjust before you can see the results. In conclusion when building your perfect skin care routine: it boils down to consistency, willingness, and the products that work best for your skin. You might be tempted to try everything in the market because of their ads and excellent marketing strategies. However, skin care varies from person to person. Treat it as the individual that it is.